Thursday, July 5, 2007

we all know the ADA is overly broad....but come on!

Detroit employee sues city over co-worker's perfume

"DETROIT - A Detroit planning department employee has sued the city because she claims a coworker's strong fragrance prohibits her from working... McBride claims she is severely sensitive to perfumes and other cosmetics... The suit says her work environment violates the Americans with Disabilities Act. McBride is asking for a ban on such scents at work and unspecified damages."

this lawsuit pisses me off for a number of reasons... the main reason being that i was actually in a similar situation once, but as the perfume wearer. i worked at a library for 3 years where one of the reference librarians claimed that she was allergic to my perfume. so i didn't wear it. simple as that.

the lady complained about me almost every day and even yelled at me when my boss wasn't around, accusing me of maliciously wearing perfume to work. (she actually cornered me by the copiers and started screaming. it was terrifying.) she even went to the head of the library system (well over my boss's head) to complain about me and my vicious perfume. it got to the point where i had to put my coat and backpack in a separate storage room just in case there were any lingering scents.

the whole situation was ridiculous and i was very happy when i got another job and quit. the fact that someone can SUE people regarding this kind of stuff is just bananas.

No comments: