Sunday, February 11, 2007

please do not e-mail this article to my mother


Dead pets give birth to diamond ring
(abc news online)

Englishwoman Sue Rogers will never be without her dead dogs and cat after having a diamond ring made from their ashes.

A newspaper reported Ms Rogers, from Devon in south-west England, paid 3,200 pounds ($A8,000) for the ring made from carbon extracted from the ashes of Lucky, an old English sheepdog, a golden retriever-cross called Sam and a tom cat called Patch.

"I am delighted with my ring as it means I can have my pets with me at all times," Ms Rogers told the Daily Mail newspaper.

"My animals meant the world to me and even though they are gone they are still with me. It's a beautiful ring and such a brilliant idea."

Ms Rogers, 44, had previously kept the ashes of her pets on her mantelpiece until she learnt of LifeGem UK, which makes diamonds from the remains of humans and pets.

A small amount of carbon from each set of ashes was heated at temperatures of 3,000 degrees Celsius to help make a rough diamond.

The stone was then polished and certified before being set in a gold band.

-AFP

No comments: